Thursday, March 12, 2009

One of those days...

Today was one of those days. In fact, it wasn't just one of those days....it was THE day. The day that I had been worrying about and dreading for months. Worrying about because I'm a pessimist and a worrywart. Dreading because our crappy economy shows no signs of improving.

Today I joined the 3 million or so other Americans that have been laid off from their jobs. No notice. No warning. Talk about being blind-sided. I'm still in shock. I probably shouldn't sit and blog about it right now because I probably don't have the best attitude right now. But hey, this is the closest thing I have to a journal and so maybe I'll want to look back on this one day and remember how I felt.

I feel stressed out. Even though it was a difficult schedule for Craig and I to have....it worked out really well for us. One of us always got to be home with Payton. And that matters a lot to me. A whole lot. Probably more than anything. How in the world am I going to find something else with that kind of schedule again? I'm panicking about that. My heart feels like it's about to jump out of my chest right this second because that's is what I worry about most.

I feel sick to my stomach. If throwing up would make it feel better, I would have gone taken that route several hours ago. I didn't work to support my shopping habit. I worked to help pay bills. Is this what an anxiety attack feels like?

I feel stupid. Like I should take it personal or something. I do take it personal, actually. Of course they tell you that it's not a personal reflection of your job performance, but crap. I take a lot of pride in my job. I always have. And now I don't have one. I feel dumb and it kind of makes me not want to tell anyone about it, because I am taking it personal. If I could and if it made sense, I probably would keep it a secret cause that's how I roll.

I feel sad. I just got a phone call and found out the names of some of the other people were that were laid off today along with me. I think there were about 50 people in all. How scary. What is everyone going to do? There were a lot of men let go. Men that are the sole bread-winners for their family. I'm sad and stressing out for them too. And how about the HR guy that had to sit in meeting after meeting....saying that same news over and over....watching people cry all day. Probably not the best day of his life.

I don't feel mad. At least not yet. The only thing I feel mad about so far is that my record is now tarnished. I've never been fired or let go or anything like that. And now I have this weird "thing" on my permanent record. Thanks.

Mostly I'm still in shock. It's one of those things that makes me want to have a pity party and sit around and cry about it.

As much as that seems like a good idea, it's not like that would accomplish much. Time to get busy. Time to start networking and finding something else. Time to start asking for ideas or help or whatever else.

I'm trying to remember the positive things I have in my life. I have good health. Well, besides my puffy eyes and red, runny nose right now. I have an awesome husband and a daughter that is the cutest. She made me want to keep smiling today. We have food on the table. We have a roof over our heads. I have all my limbs....hey, sometimes you've got to dig deep to find the good things....

Yes, I realize that there are MILLIONS of other people in this same boat as me. I'm not alone in this. Yes, I'm feeling a little dramatic about it right now. But hey, it's my pity party. I'll get over it and I'm sure I'll be just fine. But that kind of positive talk is not the point of a pity party, now is it.

Anyway, to all those friends and family in cyberspace or blogworld reading this....keep me in mind if you hear of any opportunities floating around out there.

Here's to a better tomorrow.....

15 comments:

nalani said...

I had just heard about the Xango lay-offs and wondered about you......I'm sooo sorry! THAT SUCKS!!!! I will do whatever I can to help you find something else. As my dad always says....."it will work out---it always does!" p.s. I'm very proud of you for being so open and honest and letting us all know! ;)

Our Family News said...

WOW--Lani-I am so sorry!! If I hear of anything I will pass the info along. My prayers will be with you and your family. Hopefully you can find something soon.

The Woodwards said...

Wow, I had no idea this could happen to you. I'm so sorry. I thought they had already trimmed some from your department. I can only imagine what you are going through right now. If you need anything you let me know. I'll keep my ears open and let you know if I find anything. Send me a new e-mail address for you. I only have the Xango one... I'll be thinking about you. While this is probably consuming you, just know that I KNOW You are a strong woman, you'll make it through this in two blinks...

Jeff & Melissa said...

Ugghh... sorry!! I can say I know how it feels, as I am a 2-time lay offee!!
You have the best resume I know, so get it out there and something will come up fast. It may not be exactly what you want, but I am confident if you take what comes along--better opportunities will come your way. Ill keep keep my eye out for you. Check out indeed.com

Anonymous said...

Lani I am so sorry about that. I always take stuff personally weither 'they' say I should or not. I just can't help it.
I do know of something, being a Mary Kay consultant. But I won't preach or force anything down your throat. If you want to know more great email me. If not no biggie. Good luck either way.
lauraemoffitt@gmail.com

Cameron Family said...

I'm sorry! That totally sucks and you YES YOU CAN have a pity party over it! Let me know if you need anything! You know I am here and willing to do anything to help out!

ilene said...

Lani. . .
I'm glad you blogged your feelings--I think is always good to express those feeling of frustration and anxiety. To express those feeling of disappointment will help you in your resolve to move on. You were a great asset to Xango,it was a big mistake to let you go! I know you'll be successful in your job search because you're such a great person. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Chisa said...

Hey Lani, I'm really sorry about what happened.. You were my cube mate for a long time and I know how hard you work and you take pride in what you do...If you need someone to talk to about it, e-mail me or whatever.. and of course I will keep eye on any opportunity out there for you... I miss you...

mari_contrary said...

Lanikins, I'm so sorry!! Ugh, I don't know how you would NOT take it personally. I totally would. But you should know that you are like the bomb dot com employee. Seriously I know from watching you first-hand how awesome you are. I won't say anything trite like when God closes a door he opens a window... I love you, and I'm so sorry. :(

Tami said...

YES, way to be open and honest...the beginning of working it all out and moving on. I felt sick to my stomach for you when Ted told me the news. All the "mother and wife thoughts" flooded my mind. That fear we all have and how in the world would we work through it. You were very lucky with your ability to have one of you home with Payton, never having to use a sitter. No mother wants to have their child in daycare, but unfortunately it is reality for a lot of us and for the same reason as you worked, to help pay the bills and/or further an education. No shame necessary, you were an honest, hard working employee. Opportunities will arise, some may be stepping stones to the best job for you and your family. We love you and your family and are willing to help in our power. Keep your head up cause as you said, you do have a lot going for you guys!

Julie G. said...

Lani I am so sorry to hear about your job. Thanks for letting us know. I will keep my ears open for any jobs I hear about. I hope you find something soon. Let me know if there is anything I can do. We would love to have darling Payton come and play if you need to go looking or interviewing anytime.

Kristi Burley said...

I love your guts and wish I could just give you a hug...or cry in person with you (silly I'm sitting here crying in bed listening to Beau snore). Anyway, you are in my thougts. Best of luck in your search....please keep us posted. Love you!!

Just us Three said...

Hey I am sorry to hear about that. I feel really bad and I know Ben does too. He was pretty surprized about it all. I know from experience it is hard. I don't think Ben told anyone that I was laid off too back in October. It's so hard when it all works out with your schdule. I hope you find something that works. We'll be thinking of you.

Meridith O. said...

Hey Lani,
I KNOW how you feel. Cody was layed off for almost two months and just started back to work this last week. It was definitely a VERY trying time for us and for our little family. Somehow it all works out and somehow everything all seems to fall into place. Just keep the faith! And yes, pity party's are allowed and more than one as I recall for us! Look what came about though--you got to be on Ellen! LuckyYou!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry that happened, Lani. We definitly will keep you in our prayers. I wont even go into how much I hate that we have stupid stuff like this. I know it will be ok. Somehow growth will occur and some day you absolutely will look back on it and see the blessings you have received. If you need anything, even just a babysitter PLEASE let us know. We are always here.