Most of our friends and family already know about this news, but since this blog is for my own personal journal (as well as being my ode to Payton), I wanted to write this down.
When I got laid off from my job I thought, "Crap, now I have to find a new job." And that was basically the plan. But then when Craig's work started talking about doing layoffs as well, we started talking about maybe it was time to come up with a new life plan for us. The threat of both of us being laid off was pretty scary. And eye-opening. And I guess life changing.
We now have a new job. And with this job we will basically have a new life.
We are going to be Family Teachers at Alpine Academy in Tooele. We will be moving out of our house, hopefully renting it, and moving to Tooele. (Yes, I already know all the jokes and stereotypes of Tooele. Bring it on.) Alpine Academy is a residential treatment facility that treats teenage girls ages 12 to 17. We will be living in a home that can have up to 10 girls living there with us. Basically it's really difficult to explain our job in just a sentence or two. And we get lots of weird looks and worried faces when we tell someone that this is what we'll be doing. But my sister, Janet, did this job for so many years that I guess it doesn't feel too scary to me. It's intriguing to me and I'm excited to learn more and get going. It's going to be a major life change for us, but we think it's going to be really good for us.
We have been training and working at Alpine for almost a month now. There is just SOOOO much to learn. More than I realized. A whole new environment and new language and new everything. We've met all of our girls and have spent time with them and we're really excited to get going. There's definitely going to be lots of challenges, but I know there will be lots of good things as well.
We will be moving into our new home in the last week of May. So until then, there will just be lots of commuting, lots of working, lots of de-junking and packing, and hopefully we won't go too crazy by then.
But hey, we're not complaining in any way. We're happy to have a plan and have a job. Life is good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Lani that is amazing! One of my sisters does something similar to what you are describing but the girls live in a facility. I am excited to hear more about your experience. I had some friends move to Stansbury Park and they love it. It is a really nice place. Good luck!
Hey Lani! Our "major change in life" went well too!! We both will enjoy our changes:)
Chisako
Post a Comment